Now for the most part, I am totally ok with giving up carbs but every now and again I get a craving for a craving for good old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich.
Now of course on keto, most breads are a no no so I went on a search to find create a version that was not only keto friendly but that was delicious too!
Initially I started making my grilled cheese with bread I purchased though this low carb bakery.
And while this bread made my sandwiches turn out yummy and delicious, I found that it was hard to keep in the house so I had to come up with another solution!
I started doing some research and found out that you could make grilled cheeses out of cauliflower and of course I was FLOORED!!!
I tried a few recipes but the “bread” always came out mushy and it really didn't taste like a grilled cheese at all!
So finally I stumbled upon a version of this recipe that I thought would work BUT... it was clear to me that the recipe would need a little adjusting!
The original recipe I saw used pork rinds and while I love pork rinds, I wanted this recipe to be vegetarian friendly!
In addition to making this recipe vegetarian, I also thought replacing the pork rinds with parmesan cheese would give it more of a “cheesy taste” and boy was I right!
By the way if you're a lover of all things cheese, then you definitely want to check out my low carb bacon and cheddar stuffed meatballs recipe for your main course, and you can serve it with some low carb creamy goat cheese zucchini.
Now of course the low carb bacon stuffed meatballs are not vegetarian but the low carb goat cheese zucchini is!
And making this delicious, cheesy sandwich has a few steps in it but it's actually really easy!
Here's how you do it…
1. Take your cauliflower and add it to a food processor and pulse it until it's in tiny pieces then microwave it in a bowl until it's soft and tender, then repeat the process until the cauliflower begins to dry.
3. Bake at 450 for 15 – 18 minutes or until golden brown then remove and cook your grilled cheese sandwich the same way you would with any other bread. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place your cauliflower into food processor and pulse it until the crumbs are about half the size of a grain of rice.
- Next, place the cauliflower into a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. By this time your cauliflower should be soft and tender.
- Take the cauliflower out of the microwave and stir it up so that you can mix everything well then place it back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Then remove again and stir then place back into microwave and cook for another 5 minutes. At this point, you should begin to see that your cauliflower is starting to become more dry.
- You may need to microwave it for another 5 minutes. At this point, your cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and clumped up
- Allow your cauliflower to cool for a few minutes then add in your egg and cheese. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Next, stir in your seasoning.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large, non-stick baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices that are about 1/3 inch thick.
- Bake the cauliflower bread for about 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Using a good spatula, carefully slide your cauliflower bread off of the parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches!
- You can either cook on the stove top as you would normally cook a grilled cheese or you can also place the sandwiches into a toaster oven (the method I prefer to use) and broil for several minutes (3 - 5) until cheese is completely melted and bread is nice and toasty!
- Serve warm! Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn money through qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 435 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 15g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 170mg Sodium 1086mg Carbohydrates 9g Fiber 2g Sugar 0g Protein 33g