When I initially created this recipe, it was because I had all of the ingredients and wanted to find a way to combine them so I wouldn't have to cook them all separately!
I figured I couldn't go wrong by with combining chicken, bacon, cheese and zucchini and buy was I right!
I'm always in my kitchen cooking up stuff and creating new recipes but I wasn't sure how this one would turn out.
I mean it sounded great on paper! How could I go wrong with bacon, zucchini and chicken topped with mounds of cheese???
The first night I made it, it was just on a whim but I kid you not – my husband devoured it and that's when I KNEW I had a winner on my hands!
Then for further confirmation (as if I needed any), I posted a picture in my KetoCoach For Women Community on Facebook and within minutes I had over 100 likes!
So with my new found confidence I decided to make it again the next day plus I needed to write down all the steps for the recipe!
This time I made a much bigger pan and made enough so that hubby can have leftovers!
And now this recipe ison rotation in my house and I make it at least every 4 – 5 days!
What I love so much about this recipe is the layers upon layers of flavor!
I added the layer of bacon at the bottom because I wanted to make sure that you could taste the bacon with every single bite.
And then of course I added even MORE bacon on top because… it's BACON! And I mean can is it possible to have too much bacon in one dish???
Yes I know… silly question!
And the when you add the thin slices of zucchini to the mix, it's like a flavor explosion!
Everything you need in one pan – fat, protein, veggies and of course BACON!
Oh and before I forget there's one VERY IMPORTANT thing that I want to mention is make sure you use thick cut bacon for this recipe!
I've tried it with regular bacon and unless you use 3 times the amount, it doesn't have the same taste and texture!
Trust me… it's worth the extra money!
Hands down, this Bacon Zucchini Casserole has become one me & hubby's favorite recipes and I hope that you enjoy it just as much as we do!
I'm pretty sure that once you taste it, it'll soon become one of your favorite recipes too!
Low Carb Bacon Zucchini Casserole
- Place the baking pan in the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until both the chicken and zucchini are fork tender.
- While the casserole is cooking, chop the remaining bacon into small pieces. Add to a saute pan and cook bacon until it's done but not crispy. Do not drain the grease.
- After 45 minutes remove the baking dish from the oven and spread the cheese over everything evenly. Next take the bacon and grease and spread it evenly over the cheese.
- Turn the oven down to 300 and place the baking pan back in the oven and cook until the cheese completely melts.
- Serve warm with a side of our low carb buttermilk ranch dressing and enjoy!